(Originally posted 3/18/12)
Question #2: What is required?
Required of the student:
* Eyes, ears and brain on where the teacher has directed attention (the teacher, actors, a picture, a phrase, a reading)
* A signal when the student does not understand what is being communicated.
* A response when and how the teacher has indicated. This may be verbal or physical.
Required of the teacher:
* A clear explanation of the above and repeated reminders as necessary in a clear but kind manner.
* Honoring and celebrating when individuals or classes do the above.
* Clear, comprehensible TL during the lesson.
* Clear preparation of what responses are required and when.
* Consistent use of the gestures/indicators that have been taught as the lesson is orchestrated. (yes..pun intended)
A number of folks have great rules posted in their classrooms for students.These teachers teach the rules and use the rules. These work best when the teachers think about the needs of their own students and adjust/add rules as necessary. Some of these include (wording may vary):
Clear eyes on the teacher.
Listen and respond.
No language that isn’t part of the interaction.
Try to stay in (insert TL here)
The expectations are simple to state ….but involve scaffolded training and practice to use. The behavior of students according to these rules will also DIFFER from class to class, level to level and teacher to teacher.
Dialogue with teachers will help each of us to create the best wording and usage with our own students.
Now…these are the rules/expectations for the LESSON.
Rules/expectations for other classroom activities may differ.
(see the next post…if you’ve made it this far…)
What we, as teachers, need to think about, and add, bit by bit, step by step as we continue on down the road as CI teachers is what responses are needed from the class, how to teach them, how to elicit them and how to celebrate them. So much to think about…
All content of this website © Hearts for Teaching 2009-present and/or original authors. Unauthorized use or distribution of materials without express and written consent of the owners/authors is strictly prohibited. Examples and links may be used as long as clear and direct reference to the site and original authors is clearly established.